- cornflakes and a small spoonful of sugar although there is loads of it left
- Toasted sandwiches, 2 x smoked salmon (bacon substitute) and mushroom for T
- 1 smoked salmon and mushroom for me and a bowl of vegi soup
Dinner thoughts at 2pm
something potato based, possibly pasties (again) We have most of my ration of cheese left, some fish, 2 vegi burgers, possibly mashed potato so I can save some potato for potato pastry tomorrow. We also have 2 eggs still and a mountain of sugar.
- Pizza with potato bread base, smoked salmon, mushroom and the rest of the cheese ration
- Steamed treacle pudding and custard
That is all the fat ration gone, and my son ate the rest of his sweets today. This is what is left:
- enough smoked salmon for one sandwich,
- one slice of processed cheese (my son prefers it to real cheese)
- loads of sugar
- 2 vegi burgers
- one egg
The chelsea buns I have ditched (not very thrifty I know but they hardened up!)
One more day to go. If I had more butter it would be a lot easier!
I should have weighed myself on Monday but I forgot – I’m 10st 1.4 I can’t imagine with all the sugar on the ration I will be anything less on Sunday.
We are out of honey and treacle, I think we will use our ration book to buy a pot of honey.
Packed Lunch for T
- Cheese and lettuce sandwich
- half a honey sandwich
- 2 Anzac biscuits
- 1 small coconut biscuit
- A Satsuma!
We are out of bread too, hence half a honey sandwich.
T went on a school trip yesterday and was given crossants and pineapple! Like dining at the Ritz!
- Vegi soup (extended from Monday’s) and bread if I buy some
- Fish and veg
- fresh bread rolls and some of the butter ration
- Chelsea Buns! (which we were too full to eat)
cunning plan – I’m going to use the mashed potato in a bread dough so we can have nice fresh bread with fish and veg for tea and use the rest of the dough to make chelsea buns to use up some sugar ration! 90% of my brain is now taken up with how to make meals stretch and how to eke out the fat ration.
It’s an inset day on Friday so we will eat out, my son asked if we could eat somewhere that does starters! He went on a school trip yesterday and they had croissants and pineapple so at breakfast we talked about how rich people could eat pretty much whatever they wanted and he was a rich person for that day. I don’t know how people managed on rations without cafes and restaurants. I haven’t rationed bread for this week as I can’t find out how many loaves we should have but we are eating more than we usually do.
I am carbohydrate girl. Swapped my sweet ration for 2 eggs, T very nicely said he would share his sweet ration with me on Saturday. We have loads of sugar left, most of the butter, most of the cheese, a third of the marj, all of the jam, half of the smoked salmon, 4 vegi sausages, 2 vegi burgers and we are going to eat on on Friday. All is well.